(Spring 1996 : Official International Queen Fan Club)
1) If you could have any song dedicated to you, what would it be and why?
2) If you were asked to form a new supergroup, what artists would you include in it? (not including Brian and Roger!)
I AM NOT GOING TO FORM A NEW SUPERGROUP AS ONE IN A LIFETIME IS COMPLICATED ENOUGH!
3) What living person are you most jealous of?
I TRY TO CONCENTRATE ON GETTING ON WITH MY OWN LIFE, WHICH IS COMPLICATED ENOUGH.
4) Why don't you do anything solo?
MAINLY BECAUSE MY SINGING IS TERRIBLE SO IT'S DIFFICULT TO DO ANYTHING SOLO.
5) What is your best recollection of a Queen concert?
WE DID SO MANY CONCERTS OVER THE YEARS, I DON'T REALLY HAVE A BEST RECOLLECTION.
6) If you could start your career again from when you first learned to play bass, would you do it all the same or would you do anything different?
I CAN'T CHANGE WHAT HAPPENED.
7) Which Queen song not written by you would you be most proud to have written?
I HAVE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS.
8) Do you have any regrets?
9) What is the one day that you have been most proud to be a member of queen and why?
I THINK ON "LIVE AID".
10) Do you believe in life after death?
11) For somebody who appears extremely shy how have you managed to overcome this when on stage in front of 250,000 people. Is this something that has improved or worsened over the years?
BEING A MEMBER OF A BAND MADE IT A LOT EASIER.
12) If you could bottle memories, what memory would you most like to bottle from your days with Queen?
MY MEMORY IS PRETTY DREADFUL, SO I REMEMBER DIFFERENT BITS OF OUR CAREER AT DIFFERENT TIMES.
13) On stage with Queen, did you ever feel "left out"?
I WAS QUITE CONTENT WITH MY ROLE AS BASS PLAYER.
14) When Bill Wyman left the Rolling Stones, were you asked to step in? Would you have done so?
NO AND NO.
15) What one thing (concept, object, happening etc) has scared you since childhood and still scares you today?
ILLNESS AND DEATH.
16) As a child what was the very first song you ever remember hearing on the radio?
17) How do you describe, in one word, your life around the world with Queen?
18) Do you remember your thoughts the first time you played with Freddie, Brian and Roger?
I WAS MAINLY LEARNING THE BASS PARTS AND TRYING TO GET THEM RIGHT.
19) If you could be granted one wish in the world, what would it be?
TO BE LESS NERVOUS AND MORE RELAXED.
20) Is it more difficult to be a father than to make a long tour around the world?
21) For whom did you write "You're My Best Friend"?
22) Are you sometimes frustrated by the fact that bass playing is very often "covered" by other instruments?
NO, SOMETIMES KEYBOARD BASS IS VERY GOOD.
23) If you could be an icecream flavour, what would it be?
24) Who inspired you to be a musician?
THE BEATLES AND OTHER 60'S GROUPS.
25) What are four words that you feel best describe you?
SHY, NERVOUS, IRRITABLE, WORRIED.
26) What do you most want to be remembered for?
27) Why do most of your self penned songs have a "Caribbean" sound?
PERHAPS I LIKE THAT STYLE OF MUSIC.
28) Do you sing in the shower?
29) Which was the first record you bought in your life?
30) Have you ever had any psychic experiences in your life?
NO, BUT I HAVE HAD LOTS OF STRANGE DREAMS.
31) Which of the other Queen members solo projects do you like most?
FREDDIE & MONTSERRAT
32) When you wrote "One Year Of Love"? Who were you thinking about?
I WROTE IT TO FOOTAGE IN THE FILM.
33) How has being a member of Queen affected your family life?
IT MADE IT VERY DIFFICULT TO SETTLE DOWN AT HOME AFTER A TOUR.
34) If you were not John Deacon, who would you be and why?
35) What is your most treasured possession?
I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING THAT I REALLY TREASURE.
36) If you weren't in Queen, what do you think you might have done over the past 25 years?
I MAY HAVE WORKED IN ELECTRONICS, AND POSSIBLY IN A STUDIO.
37) Who was the most unforgettable person you ever met, and why?
I WOULD SAY FREDDIE.
38) What inspired you to write the song "I Want To Break Free"?
39) I have great admiration for you because your marriage is still going strong after many years...what makes the relationship between Veronica and you so special?
NO IDEA, POSSIBLY CHILDREN (MARRIAGE IS NOT EASY)
40) Is there a Queen song you now cringe to hear but at the time thought was a good idea?
41) Of all the songs that Queen recorded, which one has given you the greatest satisfaction to play?
UNDER PRESSURE WAS GOOD!
42) When you hear a Queen song being played, what do you hear? The writing of the song, the recording session or a part in the song that could have been better?
I HEAR SOMETHING THAT IS VERY FAMILIAR.
43) When you saw Roger, Brian and Freddie for the first time, what were your thoughts and did you ever imagine such success?
NO, I NEVER IMAGINED THAT QUEEN WOULD BE AS SUCCESSFUL AS THEY BECAME!
44) In the "One Vision" video, you were seen playing drums - how long have you been playing drums?
I CAN ONLY PLAY A VERY SIMPLE PATTERN AND HIT THE CYMBALS!
45) Of all the books you have read, which one (or ones) has most influenced your life and why?
NO SPECIFIC BOOK SPRINGS TO MIND.
46) You used to give the impression in interviews you were quite close to Freddie, and he gave the impression he was quite protective of you - perhaps being the youngest and most reserved. Do you think this was true?
WE WERE ALL FOUR LITERALLY QUITE CLOSE TO EACH OTHER!
47) Which Queen video did you most enjoy filming?
NONE OF THEM.
48) With six children you must often give them advice...what has been the most important piece of advice you have given them?
49) Which song written by yourself are you most proud of?
I WANT TO BREAK FREE
50) Do you do the national lottery? If so, any luck?